Individual efforts spark CC to tie Alaska-Anchorage 3-3 headed into third

Colorado College’s defensive troubles continued in the second period, but great individual efforts by the Tigers helped forge a 3-3 tie headed into the third period Saturday night.

Rylan Schwartz scored a great unassisted goal while CC was on the power play four minutes into the second to make it 3-2 Alaska-Anchorage. David Civitarese scored an unassisted shorthanded goal seven minutes later to make it 3-3 and give the Tigers hope headed into the third.

On Schwartz’s goal, the puck bounced off two Seawolves players chests just beyond the right faceoff circle, caroming off Schwartz’s body down to his stickblade.

He attacked the UAA net waiting for a stickless Anchorage defender and goalie Rob Gunderson to commit low to wrist a shot under the cross bar with 15:56 left in the second.

Civitarese intercepted a UAA pass just inside the Tigers blue line and he split the two defenders to charge in on Gunderson, beating him glove side with 8:47 left in the second.

But defensive zone coverage issues continued, putting CC behind 3-1 when Brett Cameron popped free unmarked for a goal only two minutes into the middle frame.

Those same defensive miscues put the Tigers in a 2-0 deficit before a slap shot by defenseman Mike Boivin, his third goal of the year, got past Alaska-Anchorage goalie Rob Gunderson to make it 2-1 headed into the first intermission.

Boivin’s goal, assisted by Jeff Collett, came 62 seconds after Brett Cameron scored off a great pass from Mickey Spencer, who intercepted a clearing attempt by Archie Skalbeck to make it 2-0 with 4:30 remaining.

Skalbeck’s misfire on defense was indicative of the troubles CC has battled in their own end this season. A defensive zone coverage mistake led to the opening goal for Alaska-Anchorage early in the period.

Alaska-Anchorage freshman Eric Scheid banged in a rebound after Tigers goalie Josh Thorimbert made a great first save on a shot by Austin Coldwell. No CC skater was in position to beat Scheid, who was unmarked, to the loose puck with 12:15 left for the 1-0 lead.

A quick whistle by the referee negated a power-play goal by Archie Skalbeck less than two minutes later. CC played better than Friday (that is not saying a lot) and generated far more scoring chances with a 19-8 edge in shots on goal.

About paisleyhockey
I am a freelance writer specializing in sports with about 25 years of professional experience.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: